Sunday, September 16, 2007

I Must Really Be Home...

Pre-Katrina, I had a pretty good thing going with frugality and smart-spending. We so rarely ate out, as the deep freeze was always full, and I was a pro at keeping the kitchen running efficiently.

Since then, we've become fast friends with fast food. I never seemed to get back into the swing of things after we got the last house. Maybe it was because I didn't like the kitchen? Or the fact the water pressure wasn't very good, and so the dishwasher didn't work all that well. I don't know, but I didn't cook all that much there. I missed it at times, but mostly I just felt guilty.

So, here we are...Fall is in the air. It got down to the 40's last night, and yesterday's high was 70. BeAuTiFul! But, I want to bake..and bake...and bake. Yet, I can't eat and eat and eat. I want to make soups and broths and beans and... I just want to spend some time in my kitchen. I LOVE this kitchen, btw. It's small. I call it "nooky" and no I don't want to have babies with it. I just like that it's a small little alcove in the main area of the house. Everything is easy to reach and has a nice place.

So, I'm going to buy a deep freezer this week. I'm excited. It's sort of like a rite of passage in making this place home. I'll start filling it up before Christopher gets here, and then life will just be that much better and that much more comfortable. He's so sick of eating out it's not even funny, and I would love to have lots of comfort food ready for him.

So, I'll be posting my recipes and whatnot, too. I'm happy to be getting back into my groove again. I'm going to really work on keeping my recipes healthy. I've dropped a pants size since I got here, and I don't plan to go up again. Chris loves eating healthy with me, so it should be a fun culinary adventure!

I think I'm going to call the orchard today and go pick some apples with the boys this week. I've never picked apples before. I'll probably have more fun than the boys!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I know the feeling of loving to cook. When I was in Germany, I loved cooking. I had all my Pampered Chef stuff and had a ton of recipes I wanted to make for everyone. I lost it when I first moved to Biloxi but Fellowship started bringing it back. Now I am back in Texas and wish I had the desire to pull it all out and find some more delicious recipes. I will be watching your blog closely for some mouth watering temptations I have to make for myself.
Miss ya girl and look forward to your blogs. Keep 'em coming!!!!!

Be blessed!,
Jodi

Anonymous said...

I see that you are reading the Thornton Burgess books with your sons. My children and I have always loved them. I just started writing up some of the activities that we have done while reading these books. For example while reading "The Adventures of Little Joe Otter" we made an otter's den under a table with pillows and a CD quietly playing Nature sounds with lots of picture books about river otters. We made a tree from an old refrigerator box and attached it to the table. We put the aquarium on one side to observe the fish and beside that the terrarium to observe the turtles. Now I'm writing about Winsome Bluebird and how we studied birds. I've added binoculars and so that we can observe the birds at the feeding station. www.squidoo.com/bluebirds Please come check out my site and let me know if anything inspires you. :)