Thursday, February 11, 2010

American Pie

Anyone who knows me knows I love to cook (and eat, too!). I make homemade soups and stews, and consider a good loaf of artisan bread to be a fairly easy task. Yet, my kitchen held a secret.

I had this sorta...fear. It was quite silly, I admit. Yet, it was real! So, I had to cut corners. I cheated. It went the *store bought* way.

You see, I was horribly afraid of making a pie crust.

I could just see my HOURS of laboring in the kitchen over this pastry crust, only to end up with a big, tough, burnt clump of....not-so-flaky-pie crust. HOURS, people!

But then, one day I told my husband that I wanted to make a homemade apple pie. "Get to it then," he said.

...and so I told him my secret. He found it quite foolish, and together we went into the kitchen.We prepped the apples and made the sticky syrup for the filling, and then the moment of truth came.

I did it, people. I made a PIE CRUST! My Christopher cheered me on every step of the way. It was actually quite fun!

We ate the most wonderful pie that night! It was absolutely delicious, and quite pretty too. I only wish I hadn't sprinkled the cinnamon on top of the crust... it made it appear a bit darker than it really was. Here it is...so that I might come back and read, and remember, and smile!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gawd!

That is one good looking pie!

Wish I coulda been there!

Jodi said...

It sounds just wonderful! I miss you. It is a good thing I have your blog to hear you and be reminded of your beautiful family. Hope you are doing well. I am proud to call you my friend.