Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Homeschool Wackos...

A few days ago, a Michigan newspaper published the following article:

Homeschool Wackos


The article was a bit insulting, no doubt. Many apologies were given. The school district, newspaper, and even emergency services offered their regrets. However, in the eyes of the offended, Mr. Daniel Stout fell a few marbles short of a real apology.

This is what he had to say:
In the world today Homeland security is very a important issue. The
training of our nation to respond to the many threats we face is of
utmost
importance. As part of a full scale homeland security exercise on
September 21, 2004 in Muskegon, I wrote about a fictional group and
fictional scenario for the exercise. This fictional group and scenario
made
reference to fictional people who are against schools. This fictional
group
and scenario was not meant to offend any home school students. It has
nothing to do with any home school population. Home school students and
former students are a very important part of our nation. This scenario
will not be used again.

Daniel Stout
Muskegon County Emergency Services

I
see no real concession of guilt here, by any means. However, Mr. Stout does make some effort to appease the crazed masses that objected to his Wacko Terrorist group. Unfortunately, in his failed attempt, he drove them to a higher level of determination. Every homeschooling forum on the Internet has been in some level of disarray over not only the inital article which appeared in the Muskegon County paper, but Mr. Stout's purported apology.

Even as a homeschooling mom, I confess to finding this whole situation somewhat interesting. I had a bleak moment of offense to the article, followed by a much heartier chuckle. The reaction to Stout's response was, to me, bemusing and a bit ironic.

There appears to be few things quite like the wrath of a group of impetuous homeschooling parents. Oftentimes, I, too, am one of these parents. But, over this somewhat trivial event, I, instead, took a front row seat and watched. I saw firsthand how quick we are to defend ourselves, and our families' decisions. It's not easy to go against the grain. It's even harder when the off-handed insults are being thrown our way. Yet, I'm not sure that wasting valuable time to defend ourselves against the petty offenses like that committed by Muskegon Emergency Services, is really worth our cause.

I don't mind being "that lady that homeschools her kids" or even "the woman that rarely leaves her house" but I don't want to turn into "that fanatic lady that's always ready to come out with guns blazing."

I take pride in my decision to educate my children, but I don't need the world to know it. I feel validated in seeing my son's progress, not in how many letters I can write to the press or to my senators. I think the more we throw ourselves out there and the more flagrant we are with our choice, the more vulnerable we become to criticism. <>I also think that if we throw all caution to the wind, we're likely to be considered "Homeschool Wackos".

No comments: