Sunday, April 15, 2007

American History X: Incredible Movie


"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

Abraham Lincoln

Chris and I watched American History X last night. It came out in 1998, so I'm not sure why we haven't seen it before. I think we were both expecting a Spike Lee production, and that was probably the reason for the delay.

I think this may be one of the only movies I've ever seen that had me crying more than once. It was gut-wrenching, moving, and shameful all at once.

Issues of my childhood were laid bare, as there was a scene between the father and son that actually took place at my own dinner table more than once.

Racism. I've spent my latter teen years and adult life overcoming false convictions planted in my head as a young child. My family wasn't a bunch of skinheads. Rather...they were closet racists. The kind that begins the sentence with "I'm not racist but..." Time has softened my dad, but even recently my grandfather couldn't resist the "n" word.

I've always felt, and still do, that I shouldn't need to apologize for something my forefathers and ancestors did. Yet, American History X wasn't about slavery or affirmative action (which may have had it's place once, but turned out to be counterproductive). It was about hate. It was about anger. And in the end, it dealt with reconciliation of the heart.

I caution most of my readers NOT to get this movie. I guess there were about 2356 swear words, a horrendous prison scene, and plenty of other activity not for the faint of heart.

Still, this movie will stay with me for a very long time. It affirms my allegiance to my own family, and especially my children that I will never propagate a predisposition to racism, stereotyping, and judgment. My children will be raised to see beyond the surface, and to see with eyes of love and acceptance.





Oh...and Edward Norton was pretty easy on the eyes, too!


1 comment:

Mama said...

I saw your small print...yes Mr. Norton is yummy, isn't he? I loved this movie and may rent it again soon!