Sunday, September 24, 2006

Apr. 20, 2006 - Ponderings from the past
We're in a drought right now, praying for rain tomorrow. We haven't had rain in weeks and weeks.

It got me thinking about living at the camper after Katrina. When we first got there, we didn't have water and sewer. Everything went through tanks. It was easy to use a whole tank of water in a day with 5 people and a dog. But, the tank only got filled every 2 or 3 days. The boys would do their "quick potty" outside on a tree, so the black water wouldn't get too full. We used lots of diaper wipes to keep clean as possible. Baths were actually a rarity. It's hard to believe that in our age, we had to be careful how many baths we took. Everyone was pretty clean for church! When we moved to the house, I remember how everything that had been at the camp smelled. It was the smell of....dirt.

We eventually got water and sewer there. And it was a real celebration. But, hot water only lasted about 45 seconds, so baths were still short and rare. At least we could wash dishes and keep things a little cleaner with wet rags and all. But, there wasn't much grass around the camper. It was dirt, and that's why it smelled like dirt.

I have no point to this post. I just want to put these things down in writing. For some reason, I feel compelled to remember what it was like. As much as I want to forget, I need to remember.

Thank you Lord, for watching over us and keeping us fairly sane through those times. Thank you for helping us to appreciate all the little things. Thank you for blessing us, and helping us to move on, and begin to heal.

No comments: