Oct. 20, 2004 - Registered, Not Registered, Registered, Still Not Registered....
Monday presented it's own little fiasco. Christopher, the email expert, churned out this email on my behalf... such a darling husband. Thanks, love.
Dear , This e-mail is a notification to advise you into the problems with the Mississippi State voter registration program. This program is designed to allow voters to register through various State agencies, such as the Department of Motor Vehicles and the Department of Health. The problem with the system lies, in part, with these arms of the State. I initially registered to vote last year, when I obtained my Mississippi State driver’s license. I selected to become a registered voter, and never heard anything of it again. Later on, while utilizing the Department of Health, I was given another opportunity to register to vote. I decided to register again, just to be safe. Fast forward to now. My husband is receiving information and voter registration cards through the mail, and I have received nothing. Just today, after another reminder to vote came in my husband’s name, I decided to call the Voter Registration center in Gulfport, Mississippi, to assure that I was, in fact, registered to vote. What they told me was alarming. Not only was I not registered to vote, they had never even received the two applications I had filled out with two separate State facilities. I had to go on a wild goose chase, calling the DMV, both local and in Jackson, to track down my voter registration information.. What I learned through this process was even more alarming than I had initially suspected. The individuals I spoke with informed me that I was not the only one whom they had talked to in order to track down their lost voter registration application. In fact, many, many people were not registered to vote even though they had filled out the appropriate forms! From talking with these people, I cannot even begin to estimate how many Mississippi voters believe that they are registered, but in fact, are not registered to vote at all. This neglect on behalf of the State of Mississippi is an atrocity that denies the people of the United State of America the very right to vote. This problem could reach thousands of people in Mississippi alone, and if this neglect and abhorrent disregard is any indication, this problem may be spread beyond the borders of Mississippi into other states as well. My story is just one of many in this exact situation. Many people may not bother to investigate this matter any further as I did, and will be put aside when the time comes to choose a leader for their country. This failure to achieve their full potential as an American citizen is not their fault, but rather, that of the State of Mississippi. Mississippi is obligated to their citizens to forward this information to the proper authorities, which they are failing to do. It is my firm belief that this situation must be handled, and one of the fastest ways to shine a light on this grievous injustice is to contact my local news networks. This is why I am sending this e-mail to you, with my story, and that of countless other people. I can only hope that you will take it upon yourself to further investigate this matter, as I am most confident that you will not only be shocked by how neglectful the state of Mississippi is being in regards to voter registrations, but even more people will be shocked at the doorstep of the polls themselves when they are turned away or their vote disregarded. Sincerely,
Sunshyne M.
Nothing has come of it. I received an email from one newscaster asking for my phone number, but that was all. So, for some reason...noone really cares that people don't get to vote... even if they want to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment