Aug. 10, 2005 - Charlotte's Web
Just last week, Jordan and I finally read the ever-so-anticipated Charlotte's Web. I'd been patiently waiting until the right time. I wanted it to mean something to him. I was looking for...impact.
So, we read...and read... It only took 3 days to finish it. Jordan stopped me only to be reminded who Fern was. Then the moment came...
I took a deep breath and read a bit slowly as I peeked over the side of the book to see Jordan's reaction. Confusion and sadness filled his eyes, and he looked over to me.
"Mom, I don't think this is a kids' book," he said. "It's too weird."
"You mean sad?" I prompted.
He nodded vigorously. "Yes, VERY sad." We chose to take a break, and Jordan took a bit of time to compose himself.
Perhaps I seem like a mean mom, being so proud of such a reaction. But, in all reality, I simply wanted to know that what I'm doing is working. Jordan is, indeed, immersing himself in the fictional worlds that I have invited him to.
Something else that I noted. At one point, Templeton carries on, ranting at Charlotte. Jordan looked over at me and said, "Mom, Templeton talks too fast!" I loved it. He didn't say, "Mom, slow down." He was too immersed in the story to even notice that it was *MY* voice.
The growth in my son has been so great. These are just little moments, written for myself, to help me recapture some memories later. I'm sorry if they seem trivial to anyone reading this. However, I hope they at least make a grain or two of sense.
I'm going to go read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle now.
Post A Comment!
Aug. 19, 2005 - I really enjoyed this post
Posted by KidsofCharacter
I know they were little moments for your little guy, but I totally understand your excitement. I was encouraged and delighted as I read it. I look for the same kinds of reactions in my kids. It shows they are thinking. That's what we're looking for isn't it? It's great to hear a mom enjoying her kids.
Permanent Link Edit Delete
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment